The Hamptons are located on the East End of Long Island. The two towns in the Hamptons are Southampton (home to the beaches in Westhampton, Bridgehampton, Sagaponack, and more), and East Hampton (home to the beaches in Amagansett and Montauk). Some of these beaches are accessible to the public; check the town websites for more information.
Long Island Rail Road runs year-round service to the Hamptons and Montauk, with extra trains and longer trains during the summer months. Check the TrainTime app to plan your trip.
Fares: All stations from Westhampton through Montauk are in Zone 14. A ticket to any of them is valid to all of them. A peak ticket from Zone 1 (west of Jamaica) is $31.75 and an off-peak ticket is $23.50. Use our Schedules tool to find your exact fare.
If traveling off-peak often or with a group, try a 10 trip off-peak ticket ($199.75). You can use it for multiple riders traveling together, and it is good for six months.
Avoid long lines at ticket machines by using the TrainTime app. Buy round trip tickets in advance.
Transfers: Most trains require you to change at Jamaica if you are coming from Manhattan or Brooklyn. The connecting train will generally be across the platform. The Montauk-bound train will be a double-decker train. Remember to take your ticket with you when transferring.
Tips for getting to the beach
- If you are going to Amagansett, only the first two cars of the train will open. If you aren’t sure if you’re in the right place, ask a crew member.
- Check the TrainTime app if you plan to bring your bike, as many trains during the summer do not allow bikes on board.
- Trains to the Hamptons can be crowded in the summer. To avoid crowds, try the following:
- Avoid the busiest trains by leaving on Thursdays, or after 4 p.m. on Fridays. When you're returning from the Hamptons, try taking a train after 3:30 p.m. on Sundays.
- At Penn Station, wait in the West End Concourse on the 8th Avenue side of the station.
- Unless you are going to Amagansett, there is usually more room at the back of the train.
Taking LIRR to the Hamptons
Take a Montauk-bound train from Penn Station, Grand Central, Jamaica, or any other station along the Montauk branch.
Stations that serve the Hamptons are Speonk, Westhampton, Hampton Bays, Southampton, Bridgehampton, East Hampton, Amagansett, and Montauk.
Check the TrainTime app for station information, including addresses and directions.