1. Home
  2. Everything you need to know about fares and tolls in New York
  3. Problem with a MetroCard? Here's how to get help

Problem with a MetroCard? Here's how to get help

Updated Apr 29, 2022
If your MetroCard expired during the shelter-at-home order in New York, you’re not alone. Here's how to transfer a balance from an expired card, plus other ways to address common issues.

What to do with an expired MetroCard

Pay-Per-Ride MetroCards

You have two years from the expiration date to transfer any remaining money to a new card. Within the first year, use a MetroCard Vending Machine to transfer the balance to a new card.

After a year, you need to send your card to Customer Claims:

MetroCard Customer Claims
130 Livingston Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201

You can also ask at a station booth for a postage-paid envelope.

Unlimited Ride MetroCards

You can’t transfer or get a refund for time left on an unlimited-ride card.


Make a customer service appointment

If you need help with something in person, you can book a time to come to our Customer Service Center.

More MetroCard help

MetroCard doesn't work
  • Pay-Per-Ride (Regular) MetroCard Go to a station booth and ask the station agent to transfer your money to a new card. If the card is too damaged for the agent to read, it will have to be mailed to NYC Transit.
  • Unlimited Ride MetroCard must be mailed to NYC Transit for replacement. To receive a full credit for time remaining on your card, the envelope must be postmarked no later than one day after the problem occurs. Sundays and Federal holidays are not counted.
MetroCard has expired

Whether Pay-Per-Ride or Unlimited Ride, every MetroCard has an expiration date. The date is located at the upper left corner on the back of the card. The expiration date is usually about one year from the date of purchase.

If your Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard expires, you have two years from the expiration date to transfer any remaining money to a new card. Within the first year after expiration, use a MetroCard Vending Machine to transfer the balance to a new card. After that time, the expired MetroCard must be sent to MetroCard customer claims. Ask the station agent for a postage-paid Business Reply Envelope.

MetroCard Customer Claims
130 Livingston Street 
Brooklyn, NY 11201

MetroCard was lost or stolen

The Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard can’t be replaced if it is lost or stolen. Treat it like cash. The following MetroCards can be replaced:

  • EasyPayXpress and Reduced-Fare EasyPay MetroCard. Call the EasyPay Account Service Center at 1-877-323-7433 immediately if your card is lost or stolen. You can also file a claim online. We will deactivate your card to protect you from unauthorized charges. We will also send you a replacement card in the mail.
  • 30-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard and the 7-Day Express Bus MetroCard. These cards provide balance protection if purchased with a credit card or debit/ATM card.
  • Reduced-Fare MetroCard. Call 511 and we will deactivate your MetroCard and send you a new one with the remaining fare value at the time of deactivation. Allow two/three weeks to receive your replacement card. You can also file a claim online.

For help, call 511 between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., 7 days a week. 

How to get a refund

If you used a MetroCard

Most MetroCard claims can be filed online. If the issue you’re having is listed on this page, fill out and submit the related form. If not, you can print this form (or get one from a station agent) and mail it to us here:

MetroCard Customer Claims
130 Livingston Street 
Brooklyn, NY 11201

If you used an OMNY reader

If you believe that you were incorrectly charged by an OMNY reader, you can dispute a charge in a couple of ways:

  • If you have an OMNY Account, log in and find the charge you think is incorrect. Select Dispute Charges and follow the instructions. If you don’t have an OMNY account, here’s where you can register for one.
  • You can also speak with an OMNY customer service representative by calling 511.
About the Courtesy Pass

Our goal every day is to give you the best service possible and, when something goes wrong, to fix the problem as quickly as we can. We do our best to get service moving again or to give you options to take another train or bus.

If a severe delay happens and this isn’t possible, you can ask a station agent for a Courtesy Pass. It’s not a refund, but you can use a Courtesy Pass as payment of fare on the subway or bus within 48 hours of when it was issued.

You ride because you have somewhere you need to go. Our pledge  is to provide you with good service and, when service is not good, we strive to help you every step of the way. 

About GO Tickets

During certain planned service changes, you might receive a GO Ticket from a station agent. This ticket allows you to continue your trip during the hours of scheduled maintenance or construction.

The “GO” in “GO Ticket” stands for “General Order,” which is what we call our plans for work and alternative service. And, of course, green also means go. We use both Courtesy Passes and GO Tickets to honor our pledge to keep you moving.

How to replace your MetroCard

We want to hear from you

You can sign up to join the community of customers who fill out our quarterly Customers Count survey.  We'll send you an email each quarter to remind you to complete the survey. Each time you submit the form, we’ll enter your name into a drawing to win free rides.  More importantly, you'll be giving us valuable feedback that we share with our team to make your commute better.

Thanks for riding with us.