Holiday travel tips
- If you're traveling out of LaGuardia Airport, consider using the Q70 SBS LaGuardia Link, which will be free Thursday, December 23, 2021, through Sunday, January 2, 2022. The bus takes travelers from the airport to the at Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av/74 St-Broadway, as well as the at 61 St-Woodside, and the LIRR at Woodside.
- If you're traveling out of JFK or Newark Liberty International Airports, remember that you'll have to use AirTrain for the last leg of your trip. The AirTrain fare is separate from your MetroCard swipe, and typically costs about $7.75.
- Check out our Planned Service Changes before heading out to ensure you have the most up-to-date information for your trip.
- To save time, pre-load your MetroCard or consider using OMNY, our contactless payment system, which is available in all subway stations and on board all buses. Learn more about how OMNY works.
- Off-peak fares remain in effect on Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North. To save time, buy your round-trip commuter rail tickets ahead of time using the MTA eTix app.
- Masks are still required on board all subways, buses, and commuter rail, as well as inside stations. If you don't have a mask, you can ask a station agent for one. And remember: If you don't wear one, you may get a $50 fine.
Monday-Thursday, December 27-30: Buses will operate on a reduced weekday schedule, with some exceptions.
The bus routes that normally have local and limited service will operate with only local service: M1, M4, Q4, Q5, Q17, Q27, Q36, Q43, Q46, Q83, Q85
Friday, December 31: Buses will operate on a reduced weekday schedule, with exceptions on some express bus routes.
A special schedule will be in effect for express bus routes run by the MTA Bus Company; they will be the same as the Express bus service changes on Friday, November 26. All other local, express, limited-stop, and Select Bus Service will run with minor adjustments in departure times.
The bus routes that normally have local and limited service will operate with only local service: M1, M4, Q4, Q5, Q6, Q17, Q25, Q27, Q36, Q43, Q46, Q65, Q83, Q85.
The following limited-only bus routes will not operate: SIM4X, SIM8X
The following express bus routes will not operate: BXM8 City Island service, Super Express trips on routes QM2, QM5, QM8, QM20
All service on routes BM1, BM2, BM3, and BM4 will operate via Downtown and Midtown. There will be no Brooklyn-bound service at stops located at Church St/Barclay St, Park Row/Spruce St, and Frankfort St/Pearl St.
Saturday, January 1: Buses will operate on a Sunday schedule.
Reduced Service: Subways are running less frequently this week. Please check travel information before you go.
Friday, December 31: Subways will operate on a Saturday schedule.
Saturday, January 1: Subways will operate on a Saturday schedule.
Long Island Rail Road
Thursday, December 30: LIRR will operate 12 extra early-getaway trains departing Penn Station in the afternoon.
Friday, December 31: LIRR will operate a regular weekday schedule with 12 extra early-getaway trains departing Penn Station in the afternoon.
In the evening, LIRR will operate 11 extra westbound trains to Penn Station. The extra trains will depart between 4:55 p.m. and 8:42 p.m. from Babylon, Hempstead, Huntington, Long Beach, Port Washington, and Ronkonkoma.
After midnight and until 2:30 a.m., LIRR will operate 6 extra eastbound trains departing Penn Station.
Saturday, January 1: LIRR will operate on a regular weekend schedule.
In the interest of safety, alcohol will not be allowed on LIRR trains, stations or platforms starting at noon on Friday, December 31 until noon Saturday, January 1. MTA Police will enforce this restriction.
Friday, December 31: Metro-North will operate on a regular weekday schedule all lines with additional inbound trains between 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. Service will run all night on the Hudson, Harlem, and New Haven Lines. There will be extra post-midnight trains on the Port Jervis and Pascack Valley Lines.
Saturday, January 1: Starting at 5:30 AM, Metro-North will operate a special schedule with hourly service on the Hudson, Harlem, and New Haven Lines, and regular weekend service on branch lines. The Port Jervis and Pascack Valley Lines will operate on a regular weekend schedule.
We always recommend checking our real-time information before you leave on a trip. Use the MYmta smartphone app, or check our homepage.
You can also contact us in real time for help planning your trip. We’re reachable via phone, on Twitter and WhatsApp, through our TrainTime apps, and more.